Are the days of the showpiece NOC office display gone forever?

Töma Gavrichenkov ximaera at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 21:02:14 UTC 2020

Peace,

On Wed, Dec 16, 2020, 11:50 PM Eric Kuhnke <eric.kuhnke at gmail.com> wrote:

> In the traditional sense, by "showpiece NOC" I mean a room designed for
> the purpose of having large situational awareness displays on a wall,
> network weathermaps and charts, alerting systems, composed of four or more
> big flat panel displays.

a) Without a change in processes you need to replicate some of that at home
of every onshift engineer of your NOC.  This might sound expensive but a
single failure might cost you more.

b) But to be honest, most of the monitoring done by "a hundred of blinking
red eyes in a monitoring room" should be replaced with data analysis,
correlation tools, and automated alerts.  Those don't look that awesome on
the Instagram accounts of your marketing team but work better.

--
Töma