Applications of MPLS in the metro area

Aaron Gould aaron1 at gvtc.com
Tue Apr 28 19:50:40 UTC 2020

Yeah, I use the heck out of the ASCX5048, it is the mpls edge of my resi/busi mpls ftth network…

Lines/terminology can get blurry…But, I would say that I will do my best to get mpls into every nook and cranny of my network, where/when it makes sense.

Forgive the atm analogy again, but seriously, when I managed the US Navy ATM Network in San Diego (2000-2004) I wanted cells into every nook and cranny in order to benefit from all the virtual capabilities atm had to offer…

…same with MPLS…

…I’m increasingly hearing about devices like cisco’s ncs540, that enable mpls into smaller edge boxes, so that you can make use of up-and-coming sr/spring/evpn (mpls-based apps), automation, etc, etc

-Aaron

https://www.juniper.net/us/en/company/case-studies-customer-success/gvtc/

…juniper did a write-up on us :)