Applications of MPLS in the metro area

Etienne-Victor Depasquale edepa at ieee.org
Tue Apr 28 18:13:14 UTC 2020

I started poking around to learn more about these use cases and came
across this
interesting extract
<https://www.juniper.net/us/en/products-services/routing/acx-series/datasheets/1000397.page>
:

"Juniper Networks® ACX Series Universal Metro Routers are Juniper’s
response to a shift in metro network architecture, where the access and
aggregation layers are extending the operational intelligence from the
service provider edge to the access network."

Not long ago, I used to think of anything above layer 2 as "service
provider edge" and further still (away from access), but the responses I've
garnered are pointing at a metro network that widely implements MPLS and
access and aggregation segments that are seeing implementation of L3
functions.

Etienne