44/8

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Sat Jul 20 01:02:18 UTC 2019

I think there is a key misconception here.

The original IANA delegation to “Amateur Radio Digital Communication” was not to any organization with such a name, but was a statement of the purpose of the delegation. An individual who initiated the process took on the administration of the block in trust on behalf of the global amateur radio community. At the time of this allocation, there was only one global IP address registry and no such thing as an RIR.

The subsequent formation of an organization by that name and transfer of administrative control into that organization went largely without objection by the amateur radio community because:

1. Most of us probably didn’t even know it happened.

2. Those that did likely expected this organization to continue as previous administrators in trust on behalf of the community.

From my perspective, the delegation of a large block to CAIDA for an unrelated purpose now looks like an initial test of “can we get away with this”.

I honestly don’t know who is behind ARDC (the organization), but some of the names bandied about are people I know and believe to be deserving of the benefit of the doubt. As such, I’m still trying to learn more before I go full tilt hostile on this, but it seems to me that something is definitely rotten in the state here.

Once I have a few more facts (or believe I’m unlikely to be able to get them), I’ll be filing a fraud report with ARIN.

I encourage others with any relevant information or knowledge of the history of 44/8 to do the same.

Owen