44/8

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jul 20 02:38:09 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jul 19, 2019 at 6:02 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> I honestly don’t know who is behind ARDC (the organization), but some of
> the names bandied about are people I know and believe to be deserving of
> the benefit of the doubt. As such, I’m still trying to learn more before I
> go full tilt hostile on this, but it seems to me that something is
> definitely rotten in the state here.

Personally I've never heard of ARDC. The name I hear is ARRL, the American
Radio Relay League. The name I'll hear when I go to the Hamfest (Ham Radio
swap meet) in Chehalis tomorrow morning is ARRL. It's the same name I heard
at the big annual meet in Dayton and the smaller hamfests I went to back in
Virginia and Maryland. If a /8 was allocated for amateur radio and someone
was needed to formally administer it, I'm not clear why it wouldn't happen
under the umbrella of ARRL.

Their side of the story is at https://www.ampr.org/amprnet/

The nutshell is, "It was our unanimous decision to place one quarter of the
AMPRNet address space on the market and to prudently invest the proceeds of
that sale in what we hope will be a perpetual endowment."

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin