SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Tue Jul 9 00:08:24 UTC 2019

when we did DKIM back in the day, almost nobody was requiring SMTP auth
which meant the providers could say "blame me" via the DKIM signature,
but couldn't really take much action since they didn't know who has
doing it. we sort of took a leap of faith that that would happen.
nowadays, almost everybody requires SMTP auth (and tls, ...) afaik. i
have no idea whether DKIM was in any way a motivating factor, but it did
happen in the meantime.

i know the parallels here are not exact (is it really PRI's that are the
source of most of the spam?) , but it's maybe a little premature to
completely write off the providers for doing the Right Thing. putting
the "blame me" badge on might give them some incentive to clean up their
act. as with email spam, there is no silver bullet of course.

fwiw, the stir/shaken problem statement is a good read.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7340/

Mike