SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Mon Jul 8 21:53:19 UTC 2019

SHAKEN/STIR does nothing but sign a call by a carrier that can be verified
by another carrier that they signed it. It does nothing to stem Robocalls.

All SHAKEN/STIR does is have the originating carrier of a call to
cryptographically attest, to some degree, that the call originated from
their network.

One example given was that SHAKEN/STIR can verify that it is really the IRS
calling.

But that would require knowledge of which carrier currently serves the IRS,
and that the IRS use that same carrier for both inbound AND outbound
calling, and that the carrier publishes some record that it is the carrier
of record for the given phone number. THIS DOES NOT EXIST in SHAKEN/STIR.

If Carrier A is taking calls from a spammer and implements SHAKEN/STIR, and
their termination Carrier B have also implemented SHAKEN/STIR verification
and trusted Carrier A's certificate, all that occurs is that Carrier A says
"this call is trustworthy" and Carrier B verifies that Carrier A said so
and completes the call.

Carrier A can lie all they want, as they do now, providing a false "Full
Attestation" that the "service provider has authenticated the calling party
and they are authorized to use the calling number." But there's no proof
that they are telling the truth, and no way for any other intermediate
carrier to verify anything other than the originating carrier.

Now if Carrier B decides not to trust Carrier A anymore, they can stop
trusting their cert and drop calls. Which Carrier B can do today by
terminating the relationship with Carrier A.

I still don't see how this will stop CallerID spoofing or Robocalls.
Carrier B can block Carrier A at anytime. Carrier A can attest that any
call originating from it is authorized to use that number. Plus then
there's a ton of intermediates that aren't even addressed here. Do all the
Intermediates also need to implement SHAKEN/STIR such that the SIP Identity
header is passed onto the next leg? If the intermediate drops the header,
does the call fail?

And spammers already use real, leased phone numbers for Robocalls. We
had a client come to us who wanted 5,000 new/different and not recycled
phone numbers across the US each month. When prompted about how they'd be
used, they just needed inbound calls and SMS messages routed to their
switch hosted at a cloud provider, outbound calls would be made through
another carrier.

With SHAKEN/STIR, these calls would show up as "Authenticated" as the
client could tell their Carrier C that these 5,000 phone numbers were
theirs, and Carrier C could do a "Full Attestation" SIP Identity header and
the spam calls would show up as "Verified." But still Robocalls, just
Verified Robocalls.

We declined to do business with this client.

In summary, SHAKEN/STIR seems to do nothing but be some extra technical
work.

Please correct me if I'm missing a key piece of this.

I'm in DC, I'm going to try to attend this summit.

https://transnexus.com/whitepapers/understanding-stir-shaken/

Beckman