SHAKEN/STIR Robocall Summit - July 11 2019 at FCC

Keith Medcalf kmedcalf at dessus.com
Tue Jul 9 00:54:51 UTC 2019

On Monday, 8 July, 2019 18:08, Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:

>when we did DKIM back in the day, almost nobody was requiring SMTP
>auth which meant the providers could say "blame me" via the DKIM
>signature, >but couldn't really take much action since they didn't
>know who has doing it.

This is because DKIM was a solution to a problem that did not exist.  You always know the identity of the MTA sending you a message, there never was a need for DKIM.  It was a solution to a problem that does not and did not nor will ever exist.

>we sort of took a leap of faith that that would happen.
>nowadays, almost everybody requires SMTP auth (and tls, ...) afaik. i
>have no idea whether DKIM was in any way a motivating factor, but it
>did happen in the meantime.

This happened long long long before DKIM was even a wet spot on the sheets.

>i know the parallels here are not exact (is it really PRI's that are
>the source of most of the spam?) , but it's maybe a little premature to
>completely write off the providers for doing the Right Thing. putting
>the "blame me" badge on might give them some incentive to clean up
>their act. as with email spam, there is no silver bullet of course.

The solution is to disallow spoofing.  If the "pretty overlay information" does not equal the "billing information" then do not permit the call to be made.  Easy Peasy.  However, this will interfere with the carriers ability to make money since the ability to make money depends on being in cahoots with the fraudsters.  Making it such that the Directors and Officers those carriers in cahoots suffer the death penalty (or life imprisonment) will solve the problem in an afternoon, but it will not happen because the cahooteers' (those Directors and Officers) own the slimy politicians needed to implement the cure.

>fwiw, the stir/shaken problem statement is a good read.

>https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7340/

Not a bad work of complete fiction!

Of course, the "root cause" can be found at the very beginning of the thing where it is pointed out that there are reasons for providing false data, and that since "the other guy" allows the presentation of false data, we should too otherwise we will go out of business.  Once this "root cause" is accepted, then the inevitable ensues ...