Auto-configuring IPv6 transition mechanisms on customer devices

Lee Howard lee.howard at retevia.net
Wed Jan 2 15:10:17 UTC 2019

On 1/2/19 7:59 AM, Brandon Martin wrote:
> On 1/2/19 7:37 AM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>>
>> Yes, we're buying devices from a vendor that uses OpenWrt as base for
>> their operating system. We're using this one currently:
>>
>> https://www.intenogroup.com/products/gateways/eg400/
>>
>> We remotely manage it using Netconf/YANG from our NMS so we can do
>> software upgrades (and other management). If you have low volume you
>> can of course use SSH and script it if that's what you want. They
>> also have TR-69 based management, and perhaps others.
>
> If only Ubiquiti had so many (documented) options for management...

DHCPv6 is fine.

Jordi did a panel a year ago at APNIC where he browbeat vendors about
supporting transition mechanisms. The summary is that they said they
have code, they just don't want to ship everything, because it's more to
maintain.
https://blog.apnic.net/2017/11/09/ce-vendors-share-thoughts-ipv6-support/

This led to the draft he mentioned upthread, requiring support. OpenWRT
is still the only thing I've seen that wasn't a customer-specific build.

>> Get in touch with them, tell them I said hi. They might be able to
>> accomodate your low volume by sending you gateways with their default
>> software on it and you'd have to upgrade it to whatever image you
>> want on it, yourself. It only takes a few minutes per box so should
>> be perfectly doable with your low volume
> That could work.  I'll give them a shout.  Thanks for the pointer.
>
> Out of curiosity, what do you use to terminate the MAP/LW4o6
> tunnels/encaps to the public Internet?  Plenty of options here, of
> course, especially at the traffic rates I'm moving.  I'm just curious
> what others' experiences have been as these are still somewhat new in
> SP deployments, I think.

Open source software. For stateless transition mechanisms (MAP/LW4o6) it
can be really fast. We have a build I'd be happy to share, if you want.

Lee