Auto-configuring IPv6 transition mechanisms on customer devices

Brandon Martin lists.nanog at monmotha.net
Wed Jan 2 15:47:00 UTC 2019

On 1/2/19 10:10 AM, Lee Howard wrote:

> DHCPv6 is fine.
>
> Jordi did a panel a year ago at APNIC where he browbeat vendors about
> supporting transition mechanisms. The summary is that they said they
> have code, they just don't want to ship everything, because it's more to
> maintain.
> https://blog.apnic.net/2017/11/09/ce-vendors-share-thoughts-ipv6-support/
>
> This led to the draft he mentioned upthread, requiring support. OpenWRT
> is still the only thing I've seen that wasn't a customer-specific build.

DHCPv6 looks perfectly fine for distributing LW4o6/MAP config info.
That makes perfect sense as it's essentially part of address/interface
configuration just for accessing an alternate protocol.

I was referring more to the dearth of broader-range management features
on Ubiquiti gear in particular.  Get what you pay for, I guess.  It
slings packets just fine.

> Open source software. For stateless transition mechanisms (MAP/LW4o6) it
> can be really fast. We have a build I'd be happy to share, if you want.

Oh I was certainly planning to use a OSS software platform.  I'm
sub-Gbps at the moment.  I could probably do it on a RasPi.  The SNABB
lwAFTR option Mikael referred to looks like it would work fine but has
some deployment complexities related to its focus on higher performance
that are likely not relevant in my present situation, so I'd certainly
be interested in other options.
--
Brandon Martin