Service Provider NetFlow Collectors

Tim Raphael raphael.timothy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 2 12:08:10 UTC 2019

I would advise against InfluxDB in this case - flow data has a very high (and open) tag cardinality which is not suited to Influx (although their recently new index format has improved this).

I’m currently pushing sFlow through Pmacct —> Kafka —> Clickhouse (columnar store) with a summing merge tree database engine.
Clickhouse is very fast for queries across columns as well as aggregating down them (e.g. summing number of bytes).

For example this is the results of a query of nearly a year’s worth of MAC-to-MAC flows (7-tuple) queried for the last 7 days between two given sets of MACs:

2016 rows in set. Elapsed: 0.208 sec. Processed 17.56 million rows, 1.03 GB (84.51 million rows/s., 4.97 GB/s.)

There is also a Grafana datasource plugin for Clickhouse :)

- Tim