Service Provider NetFlow Collectors

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Wed Jan 2 12:20:51 UTC 2019

Hey Tim,

> I would advise against InfluxDB in this case - flow data has a very high (and open) tag cardinality which is not suited to Influx (although their recently new index format has improved this).

I'm not entirely sure I understand. Does this mean the permutations of
tags are high, i.e. series count is high? If so, isn't this general
problem and advice against all TSDBs? If so, I fully agree, you
couldn't/shouldn't make for example IP addresses your tags,
potentially creating 2**32*2 series without any other tags, it's
rather non-sensical proposal in TSDB.

Influx themselves comment that >10M series is likely infeasible. So
you need unique tag combinations to be low millions at most.
--
  ++ytti