power to the internet

Michael Thomas mike at mtcc.com
Thu Dec 26 17:58:15 UTC 2019

On 12/26/19 7:51 AM, Mike Bolitho wrote:
> I'm pretty sure political bickering is well beyond the scope of the
> mailing list. Is anyone moderating this?

It certainly wasn't my intent or desire to have this turn political, and
shame on the person who did. This is a serious networking related issue
for California *right* *now*. It may become a serious networking related
issue for a lot of other places too -- California is hardly unique in
its wildland - urban interface issues, and lots of places burn just like
California. And definitely lots of places have a 100+ years of fire
suppression which is a policy thing, not a political thing.

The question is what are network operators going to do? If the answer is
"nothing", don't be surprised to get legislation shoved down your
throats. Don't expect the bay area of all places to passively put up
with all of this. If your network fails because of power going out and I
can't call 911, you've got a big, big problem.

Mike