power to the internet

Jason Wilson jason at remotelylocated.com
Thu Dec 26 18:19:20 UTC 2019

As a small WISP operator in Northern California and well into the urban
interface we fell victim to the PSPS this year. Thousands was spent on
upgrading battery plants that would normally hold during a short outage and
generator purchases, whether it be small inverter style generators for
small sites to permanent standby site generators for those sites that are
larger or a PITA to get to. We still have more work to do and hope to be
better prepared for next summers rounds of shut offs.  I am currently
developing a portable trailer mounted solar/battery plant to replace the
portable generators just for fuel cost savings since I spent just about
$500/week in generator fuel alone for the largest outage.

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 9:59 AM Michael Thomas <mike at mtcc.com> wrote:

> On 12/26/19 7:51 AM, Mike Bolitho wrote:
> > I'm pretty sure political bickering is well beyond the scope of the
> > mailing list. Is anyone moderating this?
>
> It certainly wasn't my intent or desire to have this turn political, and
> shame on the person who did. This is a serious networking related issue
> for California *right* *now*. It may become a serious networking related
> issue for a lot of other places too -- California is hardly unique in
> its wildland - urban interface issues, and lots of places burn just like
> California. And definitely lots of places have a 100+ years of fire
> suppression which is a policy thing, not a political thing.
>
> The question is what are network operators going to do? If the answer is
> "nothing", don't be surprised to get legislation shoved down your
> throats. Don't expect the bay area of all places to passively put up
> with all of this. If your network fails because of power going out and I
> can't call 911, you've got a big, big problem.
>
> Mike
>

> --

Jason Wilson
Remotely Located
Providing High Speed Internet to out of the way places.
530-651-1736
530-748-9608 Cell
www.remotelylocated.com