Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Fri Apr 26 23:35:01 UTC 2019

> On Apr 26, 2019, at 5:49 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:
>
> "AP stated that at the LACNIC meeting has discussed it and they dismissed it as out of scope."
>
> LACNIC will have the first meeting where this topic will be discussed in two weeks from now. How come an AC member can lie such way?
>
> If I'm an AC member, or any other similar team, I will make sure to inform myself before stating something like that. In this case there is no excuse, you just need to visit a web page for the LACNIC policy proposals, similar in every RIR.
>
> Then I continue reading this: "AP stated that she believed that the author was using ARIN to solve their problem."
>
> How come somebody that doesn't know me, can state that?

I’m not going to go in depth on the above comments.  I’ve received at least one off-list inquiry and I’ll also assume no explicit malice here, but as you point out, it doesn’t smell tide fresh :)

The linked AC minutes page does say "These minutes are DRAFT. They have been reviewed by the ARIN Advisory Council prior to posting. These minutes will remain draft until they are reviewed and approved by the ARIN Advisory Council at their next regularly scheduled meeting.”

I have pointed out another area that I consider suspect off-list, I will set a calendar item to watch for new minutes to see if they are approved with revisions.  Hopefully there’s misunderstandings here, but I’m also not confident as much of the conversation seems to have a disjoint with operational realities.  (This isn’t anything new with ARIN btw, they’ve long been concerned about interacting with systems that are operational as doing that may mean staffing for on call or other functions).

I’m hoping to see some updates/corrections to the text, so taking a snapshot may be useful to watch for the corrections to the draft minutes.

I’m also debating if I spend the weekend with family or pinging everyone I know on the AC (which is more than one) about these issues.  Either way, I’ll pick this up “soon” on my side.

I do consider that abuse of ARIN allocated resources (coke/pepsi for numbering or other integers for AS4_PATH) something that ARIN can efforts to enforce revocation in the case of violation of the RSA.

- Jared