Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Fri Apr 26 21:49:28 UTC 2019

Not only that. I really think they have not invested enough time to read the proposal, check with the authors and then take a decision. We have got some email exchange, but clearly not sufficient. I also must state that the staff has been very helpful and diligent to clarify and support the petition process. Just the point is, should have never been needed, it exposes how bad (in my opinion) is the ARIN AC model.

Some details:

This is absolutely fake:
"AP stated that at the LACNIC meeting has discussed it and they dismissed it as out of scope."

LACNIC will have the first meeting where this topic will be discussed in two weeks from now. How come an AC member can lie such way?

If I'm an AC member, or any other similar team, I will make sure to inform myself before stating something like that. In this case there is no excuse, you just need to visit a web page for the LACNIC policy proposals, similar in every RIR.

Then I continue reading this: "AP stated that she believed that the author was using ARIN to solve their problem."

How come somebody that doesn't know me, can state that?

In my country, at least, this is an illegal (criminal) act (slander, ad hominem, etc.), unless you can prove that what you're suggesting is *actually true*.

I don't want to make a problem with that or even consider to go to courts with the case, but I really think that before saying that from someone, you must talk to him before.

I'm a very open and transparent guy, and I *never ever* did a policy proposal for *any* personal or even business motivation. I did that because if I discover an issue, and I believe I can contribute to resolve it and it will be good for the community, I just go for it. Even in several occasions my own proposal has been ***against*** my personal point of view and when I presented those policies I *clearly* stated that (for example when I was presenting policy proposals in all the 5 RIRs for IPv6 PI and I can find the videos if somebody doubt what I'm saying).

And by the way, I'm not new on this. A month ago, during the IETF meeting in Prague, somebody asked me how many proposals I've submitted to all the RIRs (since my first one around 2003 or so). I didn't know, no idea at all, so I decided to count them, and then I discovered that I authored over 75 (a few of them with other co-authors). And this isn't including an average of 3-4 versions of each one, or many other documents in IETF (and the "n" number of versions of each one as well).

I do this at the cost of my own personal pocket for traveling to the RIR meetings, I contribute as much as I can with tutorials, workshops, presentations, all kind of documents, articles, sharing my *own* time. So, reading that is really exasperating and frustrating.

And just to be clear, let me state that I don't have anything against anyone in the AC or ARIN. In fact, I've been always convinced that the AC model for the PDP in ARIN is a bad one, and this is demonstrating that. Authors and comminity lose the control on a policy proposal at some point (and in this case is even rejected before starting).

Speaking in general, even if a proposal don't reach consensus, I'm sure any open discussion is always very productive and can bring new ideas, or new approaches to the problem.

In the Internet RIRs system, I don't think we need a kind of "representative democracy". The community is able to use, in any of the 5 RIRs, a very simple process to work on achieving (or not) consensus in policy proposals: a mailing list.

Regards,
Jordi