Open Petition for ARIN-prop-266: BGP Hijacking is an ARIN Policy Violation

JORDI PALET MARTINEZ jordi.palet at consulintel.es
Sat Apr 27 07:12:12 UTC 2019

Hi,

El 27/4/19 1:35, "Jared Mauch" <jared at puck.nether.net> escribió:

    > On Apr 26, 2019, at 5:49 PM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <jordi.palet at consulintel.es> wrote:
    >
    > "AP stated that at the LACNIC meeting has discussed it and they dismissed it as out of scope."
    >
    > LACNIC will have the first meeting where this topic will be discussed in two weeks from now. How come an AC member can lie such way?
    >
    > If I'm an AC member, or any other similar team, I will make sure to inform myself before stating something like that. In this case there is no excuse, you just need to visit a web page for the LACNIC policy proposals, similar in every RIR.
    >
    > Then I continue reading this: "AP stated that she believed that the author was using ARIN to solve their problem."
    >
    > How come somebody that doesn't know me, can state that?

    I’m not going to go in depth on the above comments.  I’ve received at least one off-list inquiry and I’ll also assume no explicit malice here, but as you point out, it doesn’t smell tide fresh :)

-> And I'm also convinced there is not any malice, but is wrong doing this kind of accusations or providing such false information.

    The linked AC minutes page does say "These minutes are DRAFT. They have been reviewed by the ARIN Advisory Council prior to posting. These minutes will remain draft until they are reviewed and approved by the ARIN Advisory Council at their next regularly scheduled meeting.”

    I have pointed out another area that I consider suspect off-list, I will set a calendar item to watch for new minutes to see if they are approved with revisions.  Hopefully there’s misunderstandings here, but I’m also not confident as much of the conversation seems to have a disjoint with operational realities.  (This isn’t anything new with ARIN btw, they’ve long been concerned about interacting with systems that are operational as doing that may mean staffing for on call or other functions).

    I’m hoping to see some updates/corrections to the text, so taking a snapshot may be useful to watch for the corrections to the draft minutes.

-> If this is changed in the final minutes, then it will be very suspicious that the AC is empowered to change something that in reality happened. I call this manipulation and the community need to be aware of such things if it happen. Minutes should reflect the reality of what happened in the meeting. I really thing the right way is that they use a side note or whatever to ack it was mistakes, lack of knowledge, lack of chat with the authors, whatever, but never an alternation of the minutes.

    I’m also debating if I spend the weekend with family or pinging everyone I know on the AC (which is more than one) about these issues.  Either way, I’ll pick this up “soon” on my side.

    I do consider that abuse of ARIN allocated resources (coke/pepsi for numbering or other integers for AS4_PATH) something that ARIN can efforts to enforce revocation in the case of violation of the RSA.

    - Jared

IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.theipv6company.com