Purchasing IPv4 space - due diligence homework

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 23:02:10 UTC 2019

Jeffrey,

Thanks. A good start, but under-scoped. When you are purchasing IP number
blocks whatever source you use; a marketplace, a broker, a single source
should provide you with a compelling history on a number block REPUTATION
that includes all the attributes listed below and then some. Some of the
blocks I’ve seen being discussed lately appear notorious. In one case I
counted 17 difffernt RBL’s being attributed to it. Checking Spamhaus is
good, but then there are many others and some not so well known. There are
many embedded in devices (remember auto config) that will never be updated.

For most, do not buy v4 numbers blocks without a pro and you’ll sorta know
when they talk about everything but price. Price matters, but if its
unusable or you need to spend a month cleaning it up, no income = more
cost.

Best,

-M<