IPv6 faster/better proof? was Re: Need /24 (arin) asap

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Mon Jun 11 21:16:56 UTC 2018

--- cb.list6 at gmail.com wrote:
From: Ca By <cb.list6 at gmail.com>

> Meanwhile, FB reports that 75% of mobiles in the USA
> reach them via ipv6
>
> And Akaimai reports 80% of mobiles

And they both report ipv6 is faster / better.

Hmm...  Faster and better?

The links seem to be an IPv6 cheerleader write up.
I looked at the URLs and the URLs one pointed to and
pulled out everything related to IPv6 being
faster/better.

Akamai URL:

"For dual-stacked hostnames we typically see higher
average estimated throughput over IPv6 than over IPv4.
Some of this may be due to IPv6-connected users being
correlated with better connectivity, but over half of
dual-stacked hostnames (weighted by daily bytes
delivered) have IPv6 estimated throughput at least 50%
faster than IPv4, and 90% of these hostnames have the
IPv6 estimated throughput at least 10% faster than
IPv4."

FB URL:

"People using Facebook services typically see better
performance over IPv6..."

and it points to
https://code.facebook.com/posts/1192894270727351/ipv6-it-s-time-to-get-on-board
which says:

"We’ve long been anticipating the exhaustion of IPv
in favor of the speed and performance benefits of
IPv6."

"We’ve observed that accessing Facebook can be 10-15
percent faster over IPv6."

I'd sure like to see how they came up with these
numbers in a technically oriented paper.  There
should be no difference, except for no CGN or Happy
Eyeballs working better or something similar.  Am I
missing something?  Same routers; same links; same
RTTs; same interrupt times on servers; same etc, etc
for both protocols.

scott