Stupid Question maybe?

Tom Beecher beecher at beecher.cc
Tue Dec 18 13:29:18 UTC 2018

If you want the full historical definition, blow the dust off RFC791, and
open your hymnals to section 2.3.

"Addresses are fixed length of four octets (32 bits).  An address
    begins with a network number, followed by local address (called the
    "rest" field).  There are three formats or classes of internet
    addresses:  in class a, the high order bit is zero, the next 7 bits
    are the network, and the last 24 bits are the local address; in
    class b, the high order two bits are one-zero, the next 14 bits are
    the network and the last 16 bits are the local address; in class c,
    the high order three bits are one-one-zero, the next 21 bits are the
    network and the last 8 bits are the local address."

This is depicted visually if that's your deal in RFC796.

Back in '81 this was totally fine, but times change, and CIDR / VLSM
eventually made way more sense.

It's good to have at least a passing understanding of the old terminology
simply because documentation for newer stuff likes to reference it, but
don't get too hung up on it.