Suggestions for a more privacy conscious email provider

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Dec 4 22:41:55 UTC 2017

On Dec 4, 2017, at 4:20 PM, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> I'll just remind everybody that if this is a serious component of your threat
> model, you probably need to have gotten in touch with some serious
> professionals to help set everything up, because it's going to have more little
> gotchas than we can cover here on NANOG.

Yup.

> For starters, did you build
> your system in a way that avoids cold-boot attacks against the crypto
> keys that manage access to your hard drive?

Probably not.

> (Those 6 of you who *are* serious professionals at this can ignore that advice :)

Do I count?  I only accused the Director of the NSA of High Treason in my letter to the editors of the Communications of the ACM (see <http://www.shub-internet.org/brad/cacm92nov.html>).

So, yeah -- having the hardware here in my house so that it is more secure against unreasonable search and seizure -- that is very much in my threat model.