Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 18:49:28 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 2:25 PM, Lee Howard <Lee at asgard.org> wrote:

> Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile have great IPv6 deployments, too, maybe a
> couple more years for older handsets to age out.  Still, >50% of VzW LTE
> devices use IPv6 now.

ISTR that every VZW LTE device is IPv6 ready/capable/connected, and that it
is ~%50 of the _traffic_ that is IPv6 today.

> >Everything I have at the colo is dual stacked, but I can't reach my own
> >systems via IPv6 because my business class Verizon Fios connection is
> >IPv4 *only*.
>
> Well there's your problem.

Yeah, Verizon and VZW are not the same animal ... FiOS *needs* to get their
IPv6 house in order.
Anyone have any information on that front ...?

> > Yes, Comcast is in the process of rolling out IPv6, but my
> >Comcast circuit in Washington DC is IPv4 only.  And I'd suspect that
> >everyone with Time Warner, AT&T, Cox, etc are all in the same boat.
>
> I think all of those companies offer IPv6 on their business-only services
> (e.g., fiber, ethernet, etc.). For access methods shared with residential
> users (i.e., DOCSIS, DSL), it's not rolled out yet. . . RSN.

I believe Comcast has completed something like 90%+ of their IPv6 rollout,
nationwide.  Maybe more ...
*(My residential circuit and business circuit, in different parts of
Northern VA, are both native IPv6 out of the box.)*

/TJ