Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Lee Howard Lee at asgard.org
Wed Jun 18 18:25:54 UTC 2014

On 6/17/14 6:12 PM, "Andrew Fried" <andrew.fried at gmail.com> wrote:

>IPv6 will never become the defacto standard until the vast majority of
>users have access to IPv6 connectivity.

How many users have access to IPv6 connectivity?

Since this is NANOG, let's talk about North America.

Canada is way behind, just 0.4% deployment.
The U.S. is one of the top countries, in both number of users and number
of top web sites.
Three of the big four U.S. ISPs have double-digit deployment. It's not the
"vast majority" yet, because:
1. Older modems don't support IPv6 (older than, what, 2008?).  As those
churn, counts will rise.
2. Older gateways, especially consumer-owned retail devices, don't support
IPv6.  Churn would help, if new retail gateways supported IPv6.
3. The <10% of people with MacOS use IPv6 half the time (more or less)
that it's available.

I can't find statements right now, but I think those big three are all
>90% deployed, if you don't count rolling trucks to replace modems.  The
>number of IPv6-capable users is several times higher than the number of
>people actually using IPv6, and I don't know why.

Verizon Wireless and T-Mobile have great IPv6 deployments, too, maybe a
couple more years for older handsets to age out.  Still, >50% of VzW LTE
devices use IPv6 now.

>Everything I have at the colo is dual stacked, but I can't reach my own
>systems via IPv6 because my business class Verizon Fios connection is
>IPv4 *only*.

Well there's your problem.

> Yes, Comcast is in the process of rolling out IPv6, but my
>Comcast circuit in Washington DC is IPv4 only.  And I'd suspect that
>everyone with Time Warner, AT&T, Cox, etc are all in the same boat.

I think all of those companies offer IPv6 on their business-only services
(e.g., fiber, ethernet, etc.). For access methods shared with residential
users (i.e., DOCSIS, DSL), it's not rolled out yet. . . RSN.

>Whether the reason for the lack of IPv6 deployment is laziness or an
>intentional omission on the part of large ISPs to protect their income
>from leasing IPv4 addresses

ISPs want to protect their income by continuing to turn up services.

Lee