Ars Technica on IPv4 exhaustion

Darren Pilgrim nanog at bitfreak.org
Mon Jun 23 01:41:06 UTC 2014

On 6/18/2014 11:49 AM, TJ wrote:
> Yeah, Verizon and VZW are not the same animal ... FiOS *needs* to get their
> IPv6 house in order.
> Anyone have any information on that front ...?

For FiOS, the ONTs do transparent muckery at the IP level and aren't yet
capable of equivalent IPv6 muckery.  Verizon is also quite confident
they don't actually have to do anything about it.  Instead, they'll just
roll out 6RD relays like Qwest/Centurylink did.  You didn't REALLY need
a 1480 MTU, did you?

For Comcast business services, the SMC box on my demarc panel isn't IPv6
capable and neither are any of Comcast's other business CPE.