Feedback Requested: Routing Resilience Manifesto

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Wed Jul 2 18:38:11 UTC 2014

On Jul 2, 2014, at 2:14 PM, Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon at cox.net> wrote:

> On 7/2/2014 1:00 PM, Jared Mauch wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 2, 2014, at 1:52 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>>
>>> People will notice you streaking across a football field. They won't
>>> pay the slightest attention to what you have to say but they sure will
>>> notice you. Shall we organize a naked routing run?
>>
>> No, but how else do you suggest we work to address these problems?
>
> I am no longer active in the field, but back in the day, the ways of successfully selling stuff to management involved some mix of:
>
> It will improve sales.
> It will reduce costs.
> It will allow you to do something you want to do.
> It will keep you out of court and jail.
>
> No variation "It is the right thing to do" ever worked unless management thought of it.

For $dayjob, automation (marketing term: SDN) has let us attain all of the above, including the ability to roll out fixes promptly and predictably.

How we can encourage other actors to raise the bar is what I'm hoping occurs.  Similar to Gert and his "Have you turned on IPv6 on something today" quote, did you contribute to the stability and security of the internet today?  Sometimes it's tiny incremental work, but over time it's additive to make things better.  Toyota has a concept of continual improvement in their processes, how can we improve?

- Jared