Feedback Requested: Routing Resilience Manifesto

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Jul 2 19:08:28 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jul 2, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net> wrote:
> how can we improve?

Hi Jared,

Ask folks in the IRTF to hash out architectures for efficiently
propagating permitted source information. The manual processes we have
today don't cut it. Ask folks in the IETF and build a protocol or two
around those architectures. And lobby lawmakers about the vast
economic and national security implications of the corporate blind-eye
to criminal behavior that the protocol solves. Not necessarily in that
order.

Banks with controls inadequate to obstruct money laundering face
severe consequences. So do owners of swimming pools who make no effort
to prevent child drownings. The former is criminal while the latter
facilitates a huge torts under the attractive nuisance doctrine. Why
should network operators with inadequate controls to obstruct source
address fraud get a completely free pass? Surely the impact has become
sufficiently severe!

Alternately, it will be my pleasure to cheer everyone on as they
achieve ever higher scores at whack-a-mole. With only the occasional
snark. I promise.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004