Relative cost of ONT and UPS for FTTP

Jean-Francois Mezei jfmezei_nanog at vaxination.ca
Sun Dec 14 19:40:32 UTC 2014

On 14-12-14 11:21, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> I didn't realize that was what you were looking for; that's about the
> numbers I got 2 years ago for a 12,000 passing 100% deployment over a
> 3 sq mi city.  There was a lot of good information in those threads if
> you're contemplating doing this from scratch;

This was part of a year long process to evaluate the future of wholesale
access to last mile in Canada (independent ISPs using incumbent last
mile), and in particular whether FTTP should be included in the regulation.

Incumbents made arguments that the drop to the home represents 1/3 of
the total FTTP investment, and I had to break that down to show that if
ISPs pay for the CPE, it represents a significant portion of investment.
(Incumbents argue that ISPs ride on their coat-tails and never share
risk/investment, as well as the standard "we'll stop investing if you
force wholesale" which is also used by AT&T/Verizon in USA.

This hearing had enough spin to make anyone's head dizzy :-(