Open Resolver Problems

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Mon Mar 25 22:03:59 UTC 2013

In message <5150BE64.2020907 at pubnix.net>, Alain Hebert writes:
>     Well,
>
> On 03/25/13 16:45, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > On Mar 25, 2013, at 2:04 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

There is only one way sure way to make them care which is to cut
them off for a period and repeat the punishment if they fail to
clean up their act.  You give them notice.  You publicise that you
are going to do it unless they address their issue by date X.  On
date X you stop accepting routes through them or to them unless
they have cleaned up their act.  At the end of the period you start
accepting traffic again.

You leave the open recursive servers open.  They are your canaries.

BCP 38 was published in May 2000.  There is no excuse for any ISP
to not have the requisite equipement to do this.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org