[c-nsp] DNS amplification

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 18:27:47 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 19, 2013 at 2:12 PM, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> Chris,
>
> On Mar 19, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> With enough thrust, pigs fly quite well.  Landing can get messy though...
>> I was being serious...
>
> As was I.

:)

>> put modern hardware to work and it gets simpler.
>
> Yes, applying more thrust makes things simpler: all you need is money, bandwidth capacity, rackspace, power, cooling, time (to replace old equipment), etc.  Moore's Law will probably save us.  Probably.
>
> But I know you know all of this.

tli says moore's law doesn't apply to routing gear (in the
large-hardware world)... he's been wrong once or twice, but his slides
seemed convincing (to me).

I take your point though, there's a cost to getting out of the hole
(if there is a hole,ie: @jabley)
I also think we don't have to do this 'today', but getting the right
plans in place to migrate in the right direction seems like an ok plan
too.

> Where I think things get a bit more interesting is if you assume smaller and smaller businesses start seeing "always on" Internet sufficiently important as to justify multihoming with PI.  In the US alone there are 6M SMEs with payrolls (21M without). Perhaps router vendors should adopt Doritos motto: "crunch all you want, we'll make more"...

no doubt, this is marshall's numbers (or a form of them) from ~7+ yrs
ago now? which ted and I used ~6 yrs ago to (un)successfully argue
that we (the intertubes) need something more than multihoming as we
have it today in ipv4/ipv6... sharing that state across the globe is
expensive in today's hardware (or yesteryear's hardware).

I totally think that as the intertubes become more and more 'critical'
to people's business(es) we'll see more and more regulation that, as a
side effect, leads to more reliable connectivity being demanded.
That'll be nice, in a way :)

anyway, we seem to mostly agree, which again makes me realize I'm not
crazy... but I stil have wine and sandwiches, come along with jabley
and I?

-chris