[c-nsp] DNS amplification

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Tue Mar 19 18:12:46 UTC 2013

Chris,

On Mar 19, 2013, at 10:50 AM, Christopher Morrow <morrowc.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> With enough thrust, pigs fly quite well.  Landing can get messy though...
> I was being serious...

As was I.

> put modern hardware to work and it gets simpler.

Yes, applying more thrust makes things simpler: all you need is money, bandwidth capacity, rackspace, power, cooling, time (to replace old equipment), etc.  Moore's Law will probably save us.  Probably.

But I know you know all of this.

Where I think things get a bit more interesting is if you assume smaller and smaller businesses start seeing "always on" Internet sufficiently important as to justify multihoming with PI.  In the US alone there are 6M SMEs with payrolls (21M without). Perhaps router vendors should adopt Doritos motto: "crunch all you want, we'll make more"...

Regards,
-drc