.nyc - here we go...

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Jul 3 01:12:01 UTC 2013

< careful there may be a troll in here... :) >

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.nyc

"As of July 2, 2013, .nyc has been approved by ICANN as a
city-level top-level domain (TLD) for New York City"

As places like that see $186,000 as small change, I wonder
what other countries (much less the cities within them)
like .nu, .sb or .vu will do?  For them this is an
astronomical number.  Someone's about to hit a financial
home run reminiscient of the tech-stock bubble...

I haven't read enough, but what's to stop speculators
paying the $186,000 then charging the tiny countries
mors when they are able to make the purchase?  Please
don't suggest arbitration because that only increases
the cost to those countries.

Who's going to buy .nanog?
Who's going to buy .ietf?
etc.
Did icann have any financial requirements to get .icann?

scott