.nyc - here we go...

Rubens Kuhl rubensk at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 01:23:08 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:

> < careful there may be a troll in here... :) >
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.nyc
>
> "As of July 2, 2013, .nyc has been approved by ICANN as a
> city-level top-level domain (TLD) for New York City"

.nyc has been approved by ICANN May 24. The city made its announcement only
today. Link to evaluation report:
http://newgtlds.icann.org/sites/default/files/ier/f3T5ufeSpeThAJezaxezuDtE/ie-1-1715-21938-en.pdf

Link to all status information:
https://gtldresult.icann.org/application-result/applicationstatus/viewstatus

> As places like that see $186,000 as small change, I wonder
> what other countries (much less the cities within them)
> like .nu, .sb or .vu will do?  For them this is an
> astronomical number.  Someone's about to hit a financial
> home run reminiscient of the tech-stock bubble...

No countries were obliged to apply. Both country codes and country names
were excluded from the new gTLD process. Actually, they couldn't even
apply, as they are considered ccTLDs.

> I haven't read enough, but what's to stop speculators
> paying the $186,000 then charging the tiny countries
> mors when they are able to make the purchase?  Please
> don't suggest arbitration because that only increases
> the cost to those countries.
>
> Who's going to buy .nanog?

No one in this round. May be in the next one.

> Who's going to buy .ietf?

No one, excluded from the process by ICANN.

> etc.
> Did icann have any financial requirements to get .icann?

.icann also wasn't available for application.

Rubens