Indonesian ISP Moratel announces Google's prefixes

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Nov 7 05:02:19 UTC 2012

On Nov 06, 2012, at 23:48 , Jian Gu <guxiaojian at gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you mean hijack? Google is peering with Moratel, if Google does not
> want Moratel to advertise its routes to Moratel's peers/upstreams, then
> Google should've set the correct BGP attributes in the first place.

That doesn't make the slightest bit of sense.

If a Moratel customer announced a Google-owned prefix to Moratel, and Moratel did not have the proper filters in place, there is nothing Google could do to stop the hijack from happening.

Exactly what attribute do you think would stop this?

--
TTFN,
patrick