last mile, regulatory incentives, etc (was: att fiber, et al)

Keegan Holley keegan.holley at sungard.com
Thu Mar 22 17:22:58 UTC 2012

2012/3/22 Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net>

> On Mar 22, 2012, at 11:05 AM, chris wrote:
>
> > I'm all for VZ being able to reclaim it as long as they open their fiber
> > which I don't see happening unless its by force via government. At the
> end
> > of the day there needs to be the ability to allow competitors in so of
> > course they shouldnt be allowed to rip out the regulated part and replace
> > it with a unregulated one.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how exactly does one share fiber?  Isn't
it usually a closed loop between DWDM or Sonet nodes?  It doesn't seem fair
to force the incumbents to start handing out lambdas and timeslots to their
competitors on the business side.  I guess passive optical can be shared
depending on the details of the network, but that would still be much
different than sharing copper pairs.