last mile, regulatory incentives, etc (was: att fiber, et al)

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Mar 22 17:31:47 UTC 2012

On Mar 22, 2012, at 1:22 PM, Keegan Holley wrote:

> 2012/3/22 Jared Mauch <jared at puck.nether.net>
>
> On Mar 22, 2012, at 11:05 AM, chris wrote:
>
> > I'm all for VZ being able to reclaim it as long as they open their fiber
> > which I don't see happening unless its by force via government. At the end
> > of the day there needs to be the ability to allow competitors in so of
> > course they shouldnt be allowed to rip out the regulated part and replace
> > it with a unregulated one.
>

> Maybe I'm missing something, but how exactly does one share fiber?  Isn't it usually a closed loop between DWDM or Sonet nodes?  It doesn't seem fair to force the incumbents to start handing out lambdas and timeslots to their competitors on the business side.  I guess passive optical can be shared depending on the details of the network, but that would still be much different than sharing copper pairs.

You agree on a price per distance (e.g.: mile/foot/whatnot).

Lets say the cable costs $25k to install for the distance of 5000 feet.

That cable has 144 strands.

You need access to one strand.  If you install it yourself, it will cost you $25k.  If you share the pro-rata cost, it comes out around $174 for that strand.  Lets say they mark it up 10x (profit, unused strands), would you pay $1740 for access?  What does emergency restoration cost?

WDM/DWDM add cost to that strand, but also increase the capacity based on what your overall lit capacity may be on a route.  There are various cwdm/dwdm systems that range the usual 10/20/40/80/100km ranges.  You obviously need to do the math yourselves on this.  You may find the ROI is better than you think...

- Jared