last mile, regulatory incentives, etc (was: att fiber, et al)

Michael Painter tvhawaii at shaka.com
Sun Mar 25 20:15:13 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: <Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu>
To: "Michael Painter" <tvhawaii at shaka.com>
Cc: <nanog at nanog.org>
Sent: Friday, March 23, 2012 5:35 PM
Subject: Re: last mile, regulatory incentives, etc (was: att fiber, et al)

That's the national definition of "broadband" that we're stuck with.  To show
how totally cooked the books are, consider that when they compute "percent of
people with access to residential broadband", they do it on a per-county basis
- and if even *one* subscriber in one corner of the county has broadband, the
entire county counts.

Ummhmm.
More and more lately, I'm reminded of a saying my old, now deceased, friend used to use when talking about poker in
Milwaukee.
"We knew it was a crooked game, but it was the only game in town."