co-location and access to your server

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Thu Jan 13 23:14:35 UTC 2011

On 1/13/11 11:30 PM, Jeroen van Aart wrote:
> JC Dill wrote:
>> Scruz is ~30-45 minutes from the heart of the internet on the west
>> coast (Silicon Valley).  If your $dayjob isn't in scruz, then it's
>> most likely IN Silicon Valley.  So locate your 1U server in Silicon
>> Valley, where
>
> Yes it's in the Valley and I do consider locating it there. But I would
> like to do the whole "support your local business" thing. And the idea
> of being able to get to the server within 10 minutes is appealing.

Colos are where the fiber is, and if you want to know where the fiber is
follow the flow of money. santa cruz is in fact not someplace with
either a lot of carriers or a lot of fiber diversity.

vixie had a wild hair at some point and created the personal colo
registry a couple of years ago.

http://www.vix.com/personalcolo/

it is not extensive but the port/power/transit business for quantity one
box is not real profitable either and piecemeal expansion means you're
reserving space for customers that aren't paying for it.