co-location and access to your server

Justin Scott leviathan at darktech.org
Thu Jan 13 00:57:18 UTC 2011

> I was thinking that it was great just to find someone these days
> that would accept a one-off server and that should be enough to
> be thankful for!

Especially true with providers like SoftLayer which can turn up a
fully dedicated server to spec at any of several locations within a
few hours.  No hardware to manage or worrying about getting direct
access at all.  They even give you the ability to cycle the outlet(s)
the server is plugged into if needed.  Unless there is some really
specialized hardware, location-specific or regulatory need, I couldn't
imagine a desire to deal with putting my own single box at a co-lo
anymore.  Of course, since you're leasing the box you pay a premium
over a pure bare-bones co-lo, but it vastly simplifies things.

-Justin Scott