v6 bgp peer costs?

Adam Rothschild asr+nanog at latency.net
Wed Jul 21 22:56:11 UTC 2010

On 2010-07-21-15:08:10, Zaid Ali <zaid at zaidali.com> wrote:
> I currently have a v4 BGP session with AS 701 and recently requested a v6
> BGP session to which I was told a tunnel session will be provided (Same
> circuit would be better but whatever!). Towards the final stage in
> discussions I was told that it will cost $1500. I find this quite ridiculous
> and it will certainly not motivate people to move to v6 if providers put a
> direct price tag on it. I am going through a bandwidth reseller though so I
> am not sure who is trying to jack me here. Has anyone here gone through a
> similar experience?

You're certainly not in the minority.

The practice of charging for v6 service (I've seen it represented as a
MRC, NRC, and/or per-mb premium) seems partly rooted in a desire to
gouge unsuspecting customers, and partly an honest misunderstanding of
an organization's change processes and systems (is v6 considered a
change request?  New order?)...

Whatever the situation, the correct response is to demand native
connectivity at no charge, or else walk away at the expiration of your
contract.  Tunnels are messy now, and stand to become a lot messier as
content adaptation and overall traffic volumes increase.

-a