Email Portability Approved by Knesset Committee

Cian Brennan cian.brennan at redbrick.dcu.ie
Mon Feb 22 16:27:40 UTC 2010

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 04:24:54PM +0000, Robert Brockway wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010, James Jones wrote:
>
>> Why does this seem like a really bad idea?
>
> While I think the principal is noble there are operational problems:
>
> 1) Large and increasing quantity of email will be forwarded between
> Israeli ISPs, loading their networks with traffic that could have been
> avoided.

Same thing applies to mobile companies. Realistically, this isn't going to be a
particularly massive amount of traffic.

> 2) Every time someone changes ISP and wants to continue using this
> address they will need to notify their original ISP, who they may not
> have had a business relationship with for many years.  This will be a
> significant operational challenge I expect.  How do you confirm the
> person notifying you is the real owner of the address, for example?

This bit is slightly more difficult. All the same, you can easily figure out a
password system for talking to support (with a login password, and a support
password, say. Not the most secure thing possible, but in practise as good as
any ISPs mail system's is likely to be.)
> IMHO it would have been better to require the ISPs to forward the email
> for a reasonable period of time (say 3 months) to allow the user to make
> relevant notifications (or just stop using an ISP bound email address).

Changing an email address takes far longer than 3 months, ime. I still get the
odd mail to one I stopped using 3-4 years ago.