IPv6 connectivity mandates?

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Tue Jan 8 02:41:24 UTC 2008

Justin M. Streiner wrote:

> Given all of the discussion about IPv6 on this last over the past
> several weeks, I figured I'd chum the waters a bit more :)  This is
> mainly for people working in colleges and universities, but could apply
> to ISP/NSPs as well.
>
> Has anyone seen any indication that, given the US government's push to
> deploy IPv6, they will start (or perhaps they've started already?)
> writing mandates for applicant networks to have IPv6 connectivity into
> the requirements for federally funded grants?

Yes, and the RPF's are downloadable from the various .gov sites. It just
depends on which market/business/... one is in.

> Is anyone seeing anything similar outside of the United States?

Asian countries do it a lot (India*, Japan, Korea, China from the top of
my head). Also read up at http://www.ipv6style.jp/en/ for instance which
carries a lot of actually interesting original articles. Oh and yes,
there is reason to learn Japanese: one can actually then keep up with
all the real cool new toys on this planet ;)

Greets,
  Jeroen

* = http://www.zdnetindia.com/news/national/stories/129729.html
google(ipv6 site:circleid.com) and others