Network end users to pull down 2 gigabytes a day, continuously?

Gian Constantine constantinegi at corp.earthlink.net
Mon Jan 15 14:50:51 UTC 2007

The problem with this all (or mostly) VoD model is the entrenched
culture. In countries outside of the U.S. with smaller channel
lineups, an all VoD model might be easier to migrate to over time. In
the U.S., where we have 200+ channel lineups, consumers have become
accustomed to the massive variety and instant gratification of a
linear lineup. If you leave it to the customer to choose their
programs, and then wait for them to arrive and be viewed, the instant
gratification aspect is lost. This is important to consumers here.

While I do not think an all or mostly VoD model will work for
consumers in U.S. in the near term (next 5 years), it may work in the
long term (7-10 years). There are so many obstacles in the way from a
business side of things, though.

Gian Anthony Constantine
Senior Network Design Engineer
Earthlink, Inc.