Question on 7.0.0.0/8

Iljitsch van Beijnum iljitsch at muada.com
Sat Apr 14 10:54:50 UTC 2007

On 14-apr-2007, at 12:16, Alexander Harrowell wrote:

[net 25/8]

> Ah. I think you'll find this is a result of there being some legacy
> stuff from before the UK NIC, Nominet, was set up in 1996. Before
> then, the de facto authority was the academics, JANET, working out
> of the University of London Computer Centre. Hence cs.ucl.ac.uk
> getting in there.

Ok, I wasn't clear: the problem here is that both ARIN and RIPE claim
net 25.0.0.0/8 as "their own". This means that if you add up the
address space managed by all the RIRs, net 25 gets counted twice.
This is from the delegation information on their FTP servers:

# grep "|25\.0\.0\.0" delegated-*
delegated-arin-latest:arin|GB|ipv4|25.0.0.0|16777216|19850128|assigned
delegated-ripencc-latest:ripencc|GB|ipv4|25.0.0.0|16777216|19950101|
allocated

Is it just me or does all of this have the odor of amateur hour
around it? Inconsistencies between the various databases, IANA can't
make http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space such that
it's unambiguously parsable, ARIN backdates some of the address space
it gives out, RIPE used to register address space under "UK" while
that's not a valid country code (they fixed that last year, though),
and so on.