Question on 7.0.0.0/8

Alexander Harrowell a.harrowell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 14 10:16:33 UTC 2007

On 4/14/07, Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch at muada.com> wrote:

Another interesting case:

> 025/8   Jan 95   UK Ministry of Defense              (Updated - Jan 06)
>
> # whois -h whois.arin.net 25.0.0.0 | more
> OrgName:    DINSA, Ministry of Defence
> OrgID:      DMD-16
> Address:    DINSA, HQ DCSA
> Address:    H4, Copenacre
> City:       Corsham
> StateProv:  Wiltshire
> PostalCode: SN13 9NR
> Country:    GB

Fair enough. RAF Corsham is the HQ of DINSA and a few other military comms
and IT orgs.

NetRange:   25.0.0.0 - 25.255.255.255
> CIDR:       25.0.0.0/8
> NetName:    RSRE-EXP
> NetHandle:  NET-25-0-0-0-1
> Parent:
> NetType:    Direct Assignment
> NameServer: NS1.CS.UCL.AC.UK
> NameServer: RELAY.MOD.UK
> Comment:
> RegDate:    1985-01-28
> Updated:    2005-09-06

Ah. I think you'll find this is a result of there being some legacy stuff
from before the UK NIC, Nominet, was set up in 1996. Before then, the de
facto authority was the academics, JANET, working out of the University of
London Computer Centre. Hence cs.ucl.ac.uk getting in there.

There are a few domain names in a similar position - post nominet, the .uk
zone was reorganised to assign 2LDs like *.gov.uk, but there were already a
few 1LD .uk assignments, notably mod.uk and parliament.uk. I'm not sure if
it's been cleared up who is responsible for them.