[dnsop] DNS Anycast revisited (fwd)

Edward B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Wed May 4 04:08:07 UTC 2005

PWG> Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 23:56:48 -0400
PWG> From: Patrick W. Gilmore

PWG> I was just talking about people setting up anycast name servers, each
PWG> of which pointed at a different HTTP server (or other service), to
PWG> spread load.  In many cases, the two servers are the same.

Ah, okay... which again helps demonstrate the lack of coupling between
*cast and coherency.  A single unicast DNS server can serve split views
just as easily.

PWG> No, it disproves.  You say "it will not / cannot work".  Showing you
PWG> a working instance in production absolutely disproves your statement.
PWG>
PWG> You can say "it might break", but that's a different statement.

Yes.  I misread/misthought "disproves will not / cannot work" as "proves
can / will work".

Speaking of things that, and people who, are incoherent... ;-)

Eddy
--
Everquick Internet - http://www.everquick.net/
A division of Brotsman & Dreger, Inc. - http://www.brotsman.com/
davidc at brics.com -*- jfconmaapaq at intc.net -*- sam at everquick.net
Ditto for broken OOO autoresponders and foolish AV software backscatter.