[dnsop] DNS Anycast revisited (fwd)

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed May 4 04:45:02 UTC 2005

On May 4, 2005, at 12:08 AM, Edward B. Dreger wrote:

> PWG> I was just talking about people setting up anycast name
> servers, each
> PWG> of which pointed at a different HTTP server (or other
> service), to
> PWG> spread load.  In many cases, the two servers are the same.
>
> Ah, okay... which again helps demonstrate the lack of coupling between
> *cast and coherency.  A single unicast DNS server can serve split
> just as easily.

Views and anycast serve different, although sometimes similar or
overlapping, functions.  (Which you know very well, Eddy.)

Think we've gone down the path enough for people to understand at
least some of anycast's pros & cons.  If anyone here would like a
compare/contrast on views vs. anycast, let us know and we'll discuss.

But not tonight.  It's late, and I wouldn't want to interrupt the
flame-fest with actual operational content. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick