ISP's In Uproar Over Verizon-MCI Merger

Joe Abley jabley at isc.org
Thu Aug 25 00:38:06 UTC 2005

On 24-Aug-2005, at 19:16, Lewis Butler wrote:

> And what does every country ahead of the US have in common?  Tiny
> populations.
>
> And waht does every country but one have in common?  Very small
> area.  The US has states taht are larger than 10 of the 11
> countries ahed of use, COMBINED.

(populations; population densities in people per square km, pasted
from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
List_of_countries_by_population_density>)

   South Korea 48M; 491
   Netherlands 16M; 395
   Denmark 5M; 126
   Iceland 0.3M; 2
   Canada 33M; 3
   Switzerland 7M; 181
   Belgium 10M; 339
   Japan 128M; 337
   Finland 5M; 15
   Norway 5M; 14
   Sweden 9M; 20
   United States 296M; 30

So, of the 11 countries that the OECD thinks have greater broadband
penetration than the USA, 6 are more densely-populated than the USA
and 5 are not.

Not that this necessarily means anything, but I thought your
sentiments above could do with some numbers. I don't see a strong
correlation between broadband penetration and population density here.

Joe