ISP's In Uproar Over Verizon-MCI Merger

Sean Figgins sean at labrats.us
Thu Aug 25 01:15:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005, Joe Abley wrote:

> So, of the 11 countries that the OECD thinks have greater broadband
> penetration than the USA, 6 are more densely-populated than the USA
> and 5 are not.

I wonder how they figure population density...  Is it just a matter of
land area divided by the number of residents, or something more complex.
I think that it would need to be much more complex than that for a country
that has such diversity as the US or Canada.  Smaller countries, such as
European coundties, or Japan may be able to get by with straight averages,
but I still think that it would be better.

And what about penetration?  Is this a matter of homes passed, or actual
subscribers?  Perhaps it would be a better measure to percentage of homes
that are capible of having broadband access.

 -Sean