FW: Worms versus Bots

Daniel Senie dts at senie.com
Tue May 4 17:01:42 UTC 2004

At 12:35 PM 5/4/2004, Smith, Donald wrote:
>Daniel I agree a nat/firewall/router with acl's ... will all help
>prevent windows compromises.
>I believe security in depth is an essential element of any good security
>system.
>
>The goal of this document is help new XP users survive long enough to do
>their updates.
>Many of them cant/wont put up acls/nat/firewalls

Note that I said "have this NAT box in your bag." My suggestion is that
this be used during installation.

Is $50 too high an extra expense to suggest people just buy one with the
machine, and use it as a tool for doing installations? That's what I was
suggesting.

For the money, this is FAR better protection than that provided by the
document.