[Fwd: [IP] Japan facing bandwidth shortage due to take-up in broadband]

Deepak Jain deepak at ai.net
Thu Jun 10 00:58:21 UTC 2004

> With the current facilities as they are, a simple calculation shows that
> actual communications traffic will exceed the backbone's maximum
> capacity as
> soon as five years from now.

Since when is this is a good indicator? If we ignore any of the growth
in facility capacity in the last 5 years, wouldn't we all be in capacity
-plus situations right now? I know we are moving more than our total
capacity from 5 years ago.

> In order to handle huge communications traffic without any delay,
> large-capacity routers of more than 10Tbps are required. To deal with
> growing data communications traffic, it is imperative to reinvest in the
> communications infrastructure, such as an expansion of relay-network
> capacities by adding new optical fibers and communications equipment.

Sounds like a great place to deploy an HFR-class router if you had to do
it this year. In 5 years, a PC might be able to do it.

Deepak Jain
AiNET